top of page

It's all about the seal

Updated: May 16, 2022

I was really happy how my first "blog" was accepted, thank you for all of your kind words and comments.

This time I thought I'd talk about a subject that comes up most days of the week, which is what tape/seals to fit.

We manufacture three types of tape that can be used for fire rated glazing systems

1) ceramic tape, which has been tried and tested for over 30 years,

2) a bio dispersant fibre (non-ceramic) equivalent tape that has the certification to state that the two will perform identically and

It was a deliberate use of the phrase "fire-rated glazing system" , we get asked regularly which tape to use, and it's never our decision to make. Any system which has a certification from a testing house such as Exova to give a Certifire certificate will have to have been tested with everything that goes into that system and has to be used as a whole, the frame, glass, brackets, tapes, fixings etc have been tested together and none of the elements can be substituted.

The ceramic and non-ceramic tapes are mostly used in systems made from hardwood, steel and aluminium frames, using a glass-like Pyrostop, Pyrobel, Pyrobelite or Pyroshield and in some cases Georgian polished plate glass, but it is always the case that a fitter must refer to the Certifire certificate for clarification as to which materials must be used and in which combination as the certificate is very specific, even down to the maximum size of pane of glass which can be used.

When a customer buys a frame or glass it will have been tested and the supplier should be able to give them a test certificate number for them to be able to refer to. This will give them all the information they need as to what tape to use. the certificate will say for instance ceramic tape 3mm x 15mm and this is the only tape that can be used to ensure that the window or door will definitely do its job if and when required, the thought of using the wrong materials and the window or door failing is beyond imagination as to the damage to property and life that can be caused.

I have personally turned customers away who appear to have little or no knowledge of how these systems work and why it is so important for all the components of a system to be used together to ensure that the system works. I also have on many occasions explained this to potential customers and luckily managed to get them to fit the correct tapes within the system but it does make me wonder how many fire rated windows are not fitted and assembled correctly with the correct components.

If you need any help choosing the correct tape, please feel free to give us a ring and we'd be happy to advise you.

44 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page